Honoured Members Menu
|McCreary, Bill Sr.|
12/2/1934 Sundridge, Ontario
Left-winger, Bill McCreary Sr., was a talented playmaker who spent most of his early playing days as a star in the minors. Following the expansion, he was given a proper chance to show that he could be a solid NHL player.
The native of Sundridge, Ontario was a junior star with the New York Rangers-sponsored Guelph Biltmores. In 1952, he helped the team win the Memorial Cup and accumulated 143 goals in four years with them. McCreary began his pro career dressing for a handful of games in New York while toiling chiefly in the AHL and WHL. After scoring 33 goals for the Edmonton Flyers in 1956-57, he was named to the WHL Prairie division second all-star team.
The young forward's luck did not change after he was picked up by the Detroit Red Wings in the 1956 Intra-League Draft. He became a regular with the Springfield Indians of the AHL and counted at least 50 points in three straight years beginning in 1959-60. In October 1962, he was picked up by the Montreal Canadiens and played 14 games that season before returning to the minors.
During the mid-60s, McCreary was a productive scorer with the Hull-Ottawa Canadiens of the EPHL as well as the CHL's Omaha Knights and Houston Apollos. After recording four straight 20-goal seasons, he was acquired by the St. Louis Blues prior to their inaugural season in 1967-68. The classy forward provided leadership, offense, and penalty killing for four years with the club before retiring in 1971.
Brother of Keith; Father of Bill Jr.; WHL Prairie Division Second All-Star Team (1957); CPHL First All-Star Team (1964, 1966). Loaned to Toronto (OHA-Jr.) by Guelph (OHA-Jr.) for Memorial Cup playoffs, April, 1953. Claimed by Detroit from NY Rangers in Intra-League Draft, June 5th, 1956. Traded to Springfield (AHL) by Detroit with Dennis Olson and Hank Bassen for Gerry Ehman, May 1st, 1958. Traded to Montreal by Springfield (AHL) for Bob McCammon, Andre Tardiff and Norm Waslowski, October 25th, 1962. Traded to St. Louis by Montreal for Claude Cardin and Phil Obendorf, June 14th, 1967.